Saturday, January 5, 2019

Fair Trade Pecan Pie

 
















Whilst enjoying this lovely slice of homemade pecan pie with a BNUTZ layer accompanied with a beautiful cup of blue mountain coffee☕️🇯🇲. I reflected back to an eye opening event that happened to me when I was in Jamaica...
I was in Montego Bay (where my grandparents live) and was on my way to ⛪️church with my grandma, I saw a lovely group of women also enjoying their morning coffee. They were 👣barefoot and brightly dressed, singing loudly together💯. My Nan was talking to a friend and I couldn’t help but ponder over to the ladies to admire their singing🎶. They greeted me nicely (always do in Jamaica) I couldn’t help but notice that one of the ladies was very subdued and saddened by something😕. I started to listen closely to the lyrics to a song these ladies were singing, it was a story about lost love, maybe this was the reason 🎼. We got talking, shortly after I had to dash as the service was starting. After the service I spoke to the pastor and we got onto the topic of fair trade❇️. I saw the ladies again in the corner of my eye and asked them how fair trade has helped them⁉️ The lady who was subdued started to talk, within moments her voice broke, shortly following with tears, she explained how grateful she was for the fair trade system she sobbed “my husband” he broke both his legs. She said he was in so much pain with the accident and she immediately thought the worse, if he dies we all go, she was a mother of 4. She immediately envisaged a life on the streets as beggars or worse⚠️. How will we survive?! She held my hands and told me how important it was to share with people to buy fair trade products📢. As, due to fair trade premium they were able to pay for his medical expenses and as a result lead him to a speedy recovery. She desperately wanted to tell me that because of them her husband is still alive💫.



Such a small decision in a store-for example; fair trade tea or non fair trade tea has such big effects. How humbling! This decision can effect a family in an enormous way! Fair trade makes a real difference to real people. Have a think when your next purchasing a product as you can help many family’s with a small decision.


BNUTZ ensure that our ingredients are ethically and sustainably soured ingredients. Producing a jar which is free from; preservatives, palm oil and refined sugar.  

Recipe for the pecan pie😋

Ingredients 
2 tablespoon vegan butter 
1 and 1/2 cups finely chopped pecans
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
BNUTZ vanilla and macadamia nut butter 
3/4 cup unsweetened full-fat coconut milk
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons corn starch
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 prepared pie crust 






Method 

  1. In a saucepan, melt the vegan butter over medium heat. Add the pecans and toast in the pan for about 30 seconds while stirring continuously. 
  2. Pour in the maple syrup, coconut sugar, coconut milk mixture, vanilla and salt.
  3. Whisk until smooth then pour in the pie crust until filled to about 1/4-inch of the top of the crust.
  4. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until filling appears mostly firm when you shake the cake tin. 
  5. Leave at room temp for 2-3 hrs 
  6. Rest it in the fridge overnight 
  7. Ready to feast on the next day. 

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by pipdig